Bad Wildungen - Print version


Town history

The town was first mentioned around the year 800. The first documentary mention came from the Hersfeld Monastery's goods directory under the name "villa Wildungun". This place lay in the Wilde Valley, east of today's main town.

About 1200, a castle was built by the Thuringian Landgraves, around which Alt-Wildungen ("High/Up Wildungen" from lat. altus) developed. In 1242, Nieder-Wildungen ("Lower Wildungen"), which had been founded on the hill facing the castle, was granted its town charter, the right to hold markets and the right to mint and issue coins. The town flourished in the 13th and 14th centuries.

From 1263, the castle and the two Wildungen towns were owned by the Counts – later Princes – of Waldeck, who only abdicated after the First World War (see Principality of Waldeck).

It was during this time that the town wall and the large, late-gothic church were constructed. The latter surrounded by the many half-timbered houses and preserved fortifications of the quaint Old Town. Visitors may be interested to know that the church houses Conrad von Soest's (Northern Renaissance painter) famous winged altar, which dates back to 1403.

The spa flourished in the late 19th century and in the beginning 20th century. In 1906 the town of Nieder-Wildungen was given the new name "Bad" Wildungen. In 1940, Bad Wildungen was given the title of "Preußisches Staatsbad" ("Prussian State Bath"), after World War II it became a "Hessian State Spa". 
Today, Bad Wildungen and Reinhardshausen represent a perfect combination of classical spa atmosphere, modern spa medicine and impressive cultural vibrancy.

Please have a look at the complete Timeline from the year 800 to our days.


printed on  24.10.2017
© Staatsbad Bad Wildungen GmbH +49 5621 9656741